Monday, June 20, 2011

Hiatus and Changeover

Having made arrangements to transfer my tech enrolment from a general carpentry course to a joinery/furniture-making course, I now have a hiatus until the beginning of August, when the new course begins.

I found, after spending a day on work experience on site with a builder, that my ancient, creaking, ricketty body is no longer capable of the continual heavy lifting and carrying involved in the builder's trade. If I'd worked my way into it over the last ten or twenty years I'd probably be OK, but coming into it cold from a fairly sedentary lifestyle was rather a shock to the system. I'd probably manage a couple of days of continuous hard yacker, but by day three I'd certainly be well on the way to an ignominious collapse. Hey-ho.

The reality check came as a bit of a blow to my ego; at the risk of sounding big-headed, I'm not used to failing at things.

However, I think it might well be a blessing in disguise. I was always more interested in the joinery side of woodworking, and I went for general building/carpentry mainly because of its much larger employment pool. Joinery will be a lot easier on my aging body, as well as being more in my line, and I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. Working out that you've picked the wrong course before you burn out or break yourself sounds like something close to win to me.

    ReplyDelete