Friday, June 26, 2020

Digital Watercolour Painting

Krita, GIMP, and Inkscape have all undergone some major improvements lately, to the point where using them exclusively in a professional workflow is not unthinkable.

Krita's latest update included a whole new set of watercolour brushes, which I've been having a brief play with. The canvas texture and the vignette were added in GIMP (which, along with pretty much every other graphics app in existence, still doesn't recognise the native .kra Krita file format).

It's hardly a masterpiece, but then it was only about ten or fifteen minutes work. I'm not all that confident with actual watercolours really, but the digital version is a bit easier to work with (though much more limited, of course).
EDIT: I've just discovered that it's not actually possible to print direct from Krita, which I have to confess surprised me more than a little. You have to export the image to another format (.jpg, .pdf, or whatever) and print it via another application. That, to me, is a pretty big shortcoming in any graphics app these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment