Friday, February 14, 2014

Oops... but OK, I guess

Not being entirely happy with the proportions of the oak spatula I made yesterday, I decided to trim down the blade to make it a little bit narrower.

It snagged in the mitre-saw as I was cutting it and went flying, chipping part of the end of the blade and fracturing the shaft. Oops.

That meant I had to make changes a bit more radical than I had intended. I re-cut the blade asymmetrically around the busted bits, and gave the back a more smoothly rounded profile. I cut away the split and fractured section of the shaft and socketed it back into the blade.

So, now it's quite a different shape than it started out, but actually I like it a lot better. I do prefer a bit of asymmetry in design, after all is said and done.